Ingredients for ayurvedic pumpkin kedgeree with coconut oil
- 3 cups rice
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, extra virgin
- 1 hokaido pumpkin (small and firm)
- 1 cup yellow lentils
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 8 cups water (Pineo water in a glass)
- ½ tsp asafoetida
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 3 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Black pepper and salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 bunch finely chopped coriander
Preparation of ayurvedic pumpkin kedgeree with coconut oil
- Soak the rice and lentils for a few hours (e.g. 3 hours) before you start preparing the dish. Pre-soaking the grains and lentils aids digestion.
- Wash the pumpkin and cut it open. You do not need to peel the pumpkin. Remove the seeds and cut the pumpkin into small pieces.
- Fry the asafoetida, cumin seed and mustard seed in coconut oil. Add the onion, pumpkin and ginger and simmer for a while. Rinse and add the pre-soaked rice and lentils. Add water and leave to cook thoroughly. Finish with garam masala and finely chopped coriander.
Tip from Lies:
Turmeric strengthens the life force. An extra spoonful of curcumax botanico herb mix does you good.