Ingredients for vegetarian steak tartare with tomato and mango
- 500 grams seitan
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes
- 25 cherry tomatoes
- 1 heaping tablespoon of capers
- 1 small mango
- 2 stalks spring onion
- 1 handful of pine nuts
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation of vegetarian steak tartare with tomato and mango
- Remove the seitan from the packaging and let it drain. You don't need the moisture.
- Chop the seitan with a large cleaver until you have the crumbly texture of real steak tartare.
- Put the sun-dried tomatoes with 10 cherry tomatoes and the tablespoon of capers in a food processor and mix to a coarse tapenade.
- Peel the mango, remove the pit and cut into small cubes.
- Cut the remaining cherry tomatoes into small pieces.
- Use scissors to cut the green part of the spring onions into thin rings.
- Heat a dry frying pan and toast the pine nuts in it until golden brown.
- Mix the seitan tartare with the tomato tapenade, mango cubes, three quarters of the cherry tomatoes and the spring onions. Season with a strong pepper and coarse sea salt, such as Khoisan Fleur de Sel.
- Fill a serving ring (or use your free hand) to place a nice round of steak tartare on the plates. Garnish with the remaining cherry tomatoes, optionally some extra capers and the toasted pine nuts.
Tip from Isabel Boerdam:
Serve with two slices of toasted bread.